Before you file a complaint / Frequently Asked Questions

Please review these FAQ's before filing a complaint. We encourage you to contact your local IG Office to ensure fastest possible response.
Stop - No Classified Information DAIG can only accept UNCLASSIFIED complaints on this website.  Please do not submit any classified information using this complaint form. For information on submitting a classified complaint, visit the Department of Defense Hotline – Classified Complaints.

Who May File Army IG complaints?

If you have a concern and are unsure if you should file a complaint, contact your local IG office for guidance. Any Army military or civilian member may file an IG complaint. However, many Department of the Army (DA) civilian complaints (e.g., discrimination, sexual harassment, and conditions of employment) must be addressed by agencies other than the IG. Anyone, including civilians with no Army affiliation, may file Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) disclosures. Depending on the circumstances, the IG may also accept complaints from dependents or relatives of active duty members and retirees and their dependents. However, it is always best for the actual "victim" or person who witnessed the alleged wrongdoing to file the complaint.

What type of complaints are appropriate?

Any Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) and violations of law, Army instructions, or policy should be reported through the appropriate grievances channels. The subject of your complaint must be an Army program or person. Bear in mind, however, the fact that you may disagree with your supervisor(s) over management styles or have what you believe is a "personality conflict", does not constitute an injustice or mismanagement. If you are not sure your concern is a reportable matter, contact your local IG office for guidance or advice.

When are IG complaints appropriate?

Individuals should attempt to resolve Fraud, Waste, and Abuse(FWA) issues and personal complaints at the lowest possible level, using command channels before elevating them to the next higher level or the Office of the Inspector General. Further, complaints must be promptly filed within IG, command, or other grievance channels. IG's may dismiss a complaint if there is no FWA, recognizable wrong or violation of law, regulation, or policy. Also, complaints should be received in a timely manner.

Where should complaints be filed?

Complaints may be filed with a supervisor or commander in your chain of command, an IG or other appropriate inspector, or within any established grievance channel. Fraud, Waste, and Abuse (FWA) complaints may be reported to the Army Audit Agency (AAA), Army Office of Special Investigations (AOSI), security police, or other proper authority. Promptly advise the AOSI of suspected criminal misconduct or fraud. It is the intent of the Inspector General System that IG closest to the complaint provides assistance or conduct inquiries into the matters submitted.

What types of complaints are NOT IG appropriate?

The following issues and allegations are ordinarily not appropriate for IG intervention:
- Criminal allegations
- Issues that have other means of redress (If the appropriate redress procedures were used, IGs will advise complainants that IG involvement focuses on ensuring that the complainant received due process and the protection of rights as intended by law and regulation)
- Courts-martial actions
- Nonjudicial punishment
- Officer evaluation reports
- NCO evaluation reports
- Enlisted reductions
- Type of discharge received
- Pending or requested discharge
- Complaints that a commanding officer has wronged a soldier
- Financial liability investigations of property loss
- Relief for cause
- Adverse information filed in personnel records (except for allegations of reprisal)
- Claims
- The issue is not Army related
- Soldier EO complaints
- Civilian allegations of reprisals
- Department of Defense civilian employee redress through other channels
- Hazardous work conditions
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Appeals of adverse actions within the purview of 5 USC 7701-7703